The current situation with COVID19 caught the whole planet off-guard. We all had our plans, dreams and ideas about what our future is going to look like. Personally, my husband and I weren’t about to jump on the “two under two” train, but many people wanted to start trying to bring another family member into the world.
I’m trying hard to put myself into other people’s shoes this time – what would we be doing right now, if we wanted another baby and were about to start trying – and the pandemic kicked off right in the middle of that?
There are two sides to the coin, and I’m finding it reasonable to go either way. It all depends on what you want and how you feel about it.
Let’s say we decided to go for it. Here are some reasons why that seems like a good option:
- we don’t really know how long the pandemic will last – that’s why waiting makes no sense
- we want our children to have a smaller age gap
- we’re planning on living this kind of life anyway, for a while, so a baby won’t change a thing
- we’d come out of this situation stronger
- it would motivate us to thrive during the crisis even more, since we need to provide additionally
- there’s something to look forward to in the next few months
- it would keep me, as the expecting mother, determined to look after myself a lot more
- our child would get someone to start socializing with
All of these sound like good reasons, but some things would still mean a clear no from us:
- a planned pregnancy that starts in a pandemic doesn’t sound like a good idea
- labor procedure would most likely have new regulations
- the economy – and therefore, all our jobs – are a big question mark right now
- quarantine is tough enough with one kid, even without the pregnancy
- there are less ways to self-care and spend time outside as an expecting mother
- relatives can’t help at the moment
- with pregnancy, immunity drops
- both husband and I are in the middle of growing a new business, which is a baby on its own
Do you agree or disagree with my points? Did I leave something out? Are you trying, or planning on trying? Why, or why not?
Let me know in the comments!